100 Men of Scugog
Congrats to Safe House Home for being selected January’s Charity of Choice!
We were back at the Port Perry Legion! This meeting seemed to have such a great feeling. Tyler took on the MC role and made us all feel special and good about ourselves for being involved with such a great group of fun, community-minded guys.
Sometimes there are presentations that stir up emotion. This night was packed with them:
- Safe House Homes had us shocked to our core explaining that human traffickers start targeting young girls at age 13. Police and other agencies rescue these girls and bring them to Safe House Homes. Some stay 3 years, others have stayed 9 years.
- A volunteer Big Brother teared up as he explained that even though he had two boys of his own, meeting with his little brother weekly (who deeply appreciated having a Big Brother), was a soul changing experience.
- Scugog Lake Stewards wrapped up the presentations informing us of yet another invasive weed that’s taking the oxygen out of the lake and killing the fish!
In the end the guys selected Safe House Home, who then shed more tears!
Although only one charity is selected, it’s amazing how much you learn about the organizations helping make this community what it is.
If you missed the meeting, please drop off donation at Homestead furniture.
Want to join in the fun while giving to your community? It’s only 4 hours per year. Come join us! You get to meet other big hearted, community minded men.
How did 100 Men of Scugog Start?
At a function at The Old Flame Brewery in Port Perry, one of the organizers of 100 Women that Care asked, “Why don’t the men do something like the women did?”
“What is it?” I asked?
“Well, the 100 women that Care Scugog get together 4 times a year to do something good for our community. There’s a process where we vote for a local charity. Each of the 100 Women write a cheque for $100 and the local charity gets $10,000 at the end of the evening! Why don’t the Men start one?”
And, so the idea of starting a 100 Men of Scugog was born. After one hour of asking the men in the room if they wanted to join we had 14! And from there it grew. It’s apparent the 100 Men of Scugog care about local community causes. Are you one? Join us by filling out:
How it works in a nutshell
We gather for just one hour on the 3rd Tuesday of January, April, July and October. At each meeting, we listen to 3 local charities who present for 5 minutes and answer questions for 2. The guys secretly choose one and write a $100 cheque (per person) to the selected organization. No committees, no bank account, no fees.
- are committed to helping others in our community, are stretched for time, but you can spare 4 hours per year
- want to be part of a powerful group of local men making an immediate, direct and positive effect on the lives of our neighbours. Where else can you get your $100 matched by 99 other big hearted friends?
- want 100% of your donations to go directly to local charity
- want to learn more about the many worthy community service programs and organizations servicing Scugog
Join us and become “One” of the 100 Men of Scugog!
Meetings held 3rd Tuesday of January, April, July, October
Next Meeting: Tuesday April 18th, 2023. Registration 6:30, meeting 7:00pm -8:00pm. Location: Port Perry Legion
What are you waiting for?
Are you a member and can’t make it? Nominate someone else to take your place. Just fill out the Proxy Form!